Friday, June 17, 2011

A parting letter to my friend.....

A parting letter to my friend......



I remember the first time we met....in the loo.It is probably the best place for two people like us to meet.I was standing behind you and you took an eternity to complete.I don't know what made me react politely when you murmured half a sorry to me.I even managed to ask your name despite the other important task on hand!!!

Let me be honest mate....I did not like you initially.Don't completely do now either.....you are a little too arrogant for my liking.But then who isn't? You are probably better than half the guys I meet each day.I probably found someone who could put up with me..I needed a room-mate too...didn't I?But then...I did find a friend in you too...a damn good one at times...

I still remember the day when you completed an assignment for me-you know why I wasn't in a position to do it.That lecturer would have insulted me bigtime-we didn't exactly see eye to eye...did we?But then I showed more than gratitude to you...paid for the by-two-coffee and you-know-what every evening for a semester!!

You have this bad habit of eating from other's plates.I did not enjoy it at all.Remember I threw the plate full of chutney on you in second year?And you chased me around the whole Mess for that?I mean...I got used to it later...but you know..your in-laws may not like it.

And of course...we were hitting on the same girl without knowing it for some time and completely knowing it -for most part.Let us admit it...we were competing.You wanted to make me jealous and project yourself better..and I wanted a moment where I could reveal your dark side to her.It went to hostility at its extremes...I wonder how we shared the same room with all the cold-war.But then good sense prevailed and we realized that she wasn't worth the trouble or the effort.I mean...she would never have agreed to share our hostel bill...she would have meant extra expenses-come to think of it!!! You can try again if you like...but rumour is that she is going out with some hefty guy...all the best to you!!

One thing I don't really understand was that sense of envy in me whenever you went on stage.I don't know why I never appreciated the applause you got on stage.I always made sure I wasn't around when you were performing..I am really sorry about that.I gathered the courage to watch you the last time you performed in college...and realised what I had missed in the last 4 years.

But I really liked the way we teamed up in cricket.You are a decent batsman.I am a decent bowler.You know what...I always looked to pick you in the team,not because you were my best friend,but because it improved my chances of winning.May be there was this desire to match your success on stage with my success in sports!! Ofcourse neither of us was that good in class..so it was never in the equation!

If I were to give you genuine advice,please learn not get carried away in life.I mean...you have a place in a foreign university,a couple of jobs here,and you are highly talented.But let your feet always be on the ground...and you will go places.I admit I am envious about your success...but I am concerned about you too...

I won't say keep in touch..I am sure you will if you want too.I could have spoken to you about all this...but then...you know...

Your room-mate of four years







1 comment: